Find by Year/Month

Chapel in Abbotsford

In July 1934 the idea arose to build a chapel for the spiritual needs of the small group of Orthodox people in the Abbotsford area. A Brotherhood Society was created, including Konstantin, Faina and Peter Pichugin, Joseph, Alexandra and Nadezhda Okulitch, Andrei and Nadezhda Mitrofanov, Maria Kuznetsov, Sergei Laskavy, Victor Kuritsin. Konstantin Trofimovich Pichugin donated a plot, 40 by 30 feet, for free use. Fr. Alexander Kizyun dedicated the plot, laid the cornerstone and helped energetically in the construction. The Society members worked hard, and the Stt. Peter and Paul Chapel was dedicated on 30 December 1934. Icons and decorations were donated by the members.